Saturday, November 22, 2008

Kindergarten Pow-Wow

Can I just say how much I love Kindergarten! All the kindergarten classes (tribes) got together and had a pow-wow and it was so much fun. Each tribe had decorated shirts, feathered headbands with their accomplishments on them, and a drum . Each tribe sang and danced to a song they had learned about Thanksgiving. Then all the tribes combined food that they brought to make a trail mix.


My little tag along made herself comfortable in her sister's lap. It thrills Katelynn to no end when Haley wants her big sister. Haley is known by name in both Scott's and Katelynn's class and can't leave until they have given her hugs. Haley tolerates it pretty well, but it's pretty intimidating when you have a bunch of kids in your face. Katelynn is very protective of Haley and says that no one can hold her because she is MY sister.



I was walking down the hall at the school the other day when a student I didn't recognize said, "Hey...there's Scott's mom." I thought to myself, "gee, am I really up here that much?" I eat lunch with the kids every week and they are allowed 2 or so friends to go outside or the loft to eat with them. So we try to alternate kids in the class to be fair. Here is what I've learned. A child in Scott's class has a 17 year old sister who is pregnant. Another child's mother will wash her mouth out with soap when she uses a curse word. Another child has a 4 grade brother that he loves and looks up to very much. Another child protects my baby when she's about the hit her head on the table. This same child is also responsible for bathing his 2 year old brother 2 days a week, and is one of the sweetest, most kind 8 year old I have ever met. I've learned who likes PB&J and who doesn't. I learned that my kindergartner contemplates throwing her bag of chips in the chandelier when we are eating in the loft. What going to the school has allowed me to do is see the fruits of my labor. I can see that my children are friends with good children and really don't want anything to do with the children that misbehave. It puts my fears to rest. So I will continue to go to the school and keep looking for those teaching opportunities to strengthen them from all that is out there.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That's awesome! I always knew you were a good mom though!

Angie said...

Wow! I can't believe how much time you spend at the school. Your kids are so lucky to have you as their mom. Your kids are adorable and growing up so fast. I can't believe it's been over 2 years since you were out here. We REALLY need another girl's getaway. I'm not sure if the cruise is going to happen or not. But either way, you and I need to do something somewhere.